[R] colorRamp of image to span larger range than dataset

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Mon Sep 6 03:21:22 CEST 2010

colorRampPalette returns a function, not a list of colours.  You might want to try something like:

ascols <-
    colorRampPalette(c("gray", "yellow", "darkgoldenrod1", "orange", "red"), interpolate="spline")
x <- 10*(1:nrow(volcano))
y <- 10*(1:ncol(volcano))
image(x, y, volcano, col = ascols(300), axes = FALSE)

### spot the difference...