[R] R code changes to crap

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Sep 2 10:01:38 CEST 2010

On 02-Sep-10 07:16:54, khush ........ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using vim to edit my files...I do not know what has been
> pressed by me as my R code get converted to such a crap...
>
> %PDF-1.4
> %<81>â<81>ã<81>Ï<81>Ó\r
> 1 0 obj
> <<
> /CreationDate (D:20100902122215)
> /ModDate (D:20100902122215)
> /Title (R Graphics Output)
> /Producer (R 2.11.1)
> /Creator (R)
>
> how to reconvert it to the my actual code?? as I do not have  backup
> for
> it..?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Khushwant

The content you have listed above is part of a header from a PDF file,
apparently generated by R from a plot() command ("R Graphics Output")
presumably encapsulated between pdf(...) ... dev.off() commands.
It is most unlikely that such a file would contain any "R code"
(i.e. a list of C commands).

Are you sure you are editing the correct file? What are you trying
to do? In any case, there are almost no circumstances in which it
is meaningful to apply a text editor (like 'vim') to a PDF file!

Possibly, if you are using a Windows platform, you may have mixed
up a text file with R commands (e.g. "project1.R") with a PDF
file generated by R using the same name (e.g. "project1.pdf")
because Windows (by default) does not show you the extension
(respectively ".R" and ".pdf").

Please clarify!
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861