[R] diamond/triangle "plot"

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 03:38:17 CEST 2010

David Winsemius <dwinsemius <at> comcast.net> writes:

> On Sep 1, 2010, at 7:50 PM, John K. Williams wrote:
>
> > Hi, does anyone have any idea how I might make a plot in R similar
> > to this:
> > http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/272612/BATTER-1B-PENA.png
> >
> > Specifically looking to plot 3 numbers in a triangle like that.
> >

> Well, not exactly what you requested but you've got to admit that was
> one gawdawful graph::
>
> http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=96

  I have to agree that these graphs are awfully hard to read
<http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2010/1/16/1253520/introducing-diamondview-2-010>

The examples in the original
<http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/9/16/1032763/introducing-diamondview-composite>
make it easier to see how this is actually defined.

  This is of course _possible_ in R ('just' compute the vertices of
the polygons you want to draw and use polygon() to add them to a plot
created with type="n"), but it could be some work.  It's conceivable
that you could hack stars() to do what you want.