[R] ncdf4 package installation in R

shaticus mshatley at udel.edu
Tue Oct 26 20:07:31 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I could use some help installing the ncdf4 package in R (under CentOS 5.4).
I've installed R-2.12.0, zlib-1.2.5, hdf5-1.8.4-patch1 and NetCDF4.1.1 from
source. Make check reports all tests have passed for all of these programs.

When I issue an 'install.packages(c('ncdf4')) in R, compilation succeeds but
I receive the following error during the loading phase of installation:

** building package indices ...
** testing if installed package can be loaded
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared object
'/usr/local/lib64/R/library/ncdf4/libs/ncdf4.so':
  libnetcdf.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ERROR: loading failed
* removing â/usr/local/lib64/R/library/ncdf4â

Can someone point me in the right direction to resolve this error?

Thanks in advance