[R] Error message in using nlm() and optim()

harishmani harishmani at sssu.edu.in
Fri Oct 22 07:28:19 CEST 2010

              I am facing a problem when trying to maximize the likelihood
function. I am actually estimating a dynamic switching regression model
using simulated likelihood approach. The likelihood function is estimated
using Simulations and is extremely complex. It comprises of 16 parameters
,q1, q2, q3,.......q16. While attempting to maximize the likelihood
function, using the functions nlm() and optim(), the following error message
appears -
                  Error: element 2 is empty;
   the part of the args list of '/' being evaluated was:
   (1, q11)
I am not able to figure out the meaning of the above message. Can anyone
help me out?