[R] 3D-scatterplots - high quality rendering?

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 11:49:32 CEST 2010

I have just started using the package 'rgl' to explore my data as a 3D
scatterplot.

It's a great tool. But I would like to be able to save some graph
views and it appears the only format available is 'png' and it doesn't
look that nice. It is excellent to work with on screen and
explore/play, but when it comes to producing a good quality graphic
I'm a bit disappointed.

So the questions I have are:

1) is there a way to render the graph in the RGL device as a high
quality graphic?

2) if the answer is no, what would be the best package to produce good
quality "point-of-view" customisable 3D scatter plots? I guess I cal
always use 'rgl' to explore the data, and then use an alternative to
produce specific plots, once I figure which views/angles are the ones
I want to show.

3) it would be interesting to produce a simple movie, maybe just a
360-degree rotation. Is there a package geared towards that, or do I
just simply create a collection of images that I animate elsewhere?

Thank you for your help!

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6507095

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.