[R] loading workspace- getting annoying

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Oct 21 01:37:44 CEST 2010

On Oct 20, 2010, at 7:05 PM, sachinthaka.abeywardana at allianz.com.au
wrote:

> I stupidly decided to save my last workspace (a large dataset) and
> every
> time I open R it loads it back in. Can I stop this? Also how do you
> clear
> variables.
>
> Thanks,
> Sachin
>
> --- Please consider the environment before printing this email ---

You have not shared with us the "at a minimum" information requested
in the Posting Guide (although your silly corporate confidential
trailer was appended), so take a moment now and read the Posting
Guide, please.

The saved workspace can be deleted. It is a file named .Rdata and in
some OSes is "indivisible". Consult your OS documentation (such as it
may be) regarding deleting  "invisible" or "dot" or system files.

You can also start R without any workspace if starting R from a
command line and I believe that it is done with the --vanilla setting.
Yes, that seems to behave as I expected. (I generally use the Mac GUI.)

 From a Terminal session:
david-winsemiuss-mac-pro:~ davidwinsemius$ R --vanilla

R version 2.11.1 Patched (2010-06-14 r52281)
---snipped login information----
Type 'q()' to quit R.

 > ls()
character(0)

In fact it seems to have also skipped loading my utility functions
from .Rprofile as well as skipping the workspace .Rdata file.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT