[R] points(x,y), mean and standard deviation

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 16:50:51 CEST 2010

Hi,

Here is an example using ggplot2.  For future reference, it would be
convenient if you provided sample data.  This is actually pretty easy
to do:  dput(yourdata) or if your data is very large:
dput(head(yourdata)).  At any rate, here is an example with the means
plotted as points and connected with a line and error bars around
them.  The line is controlled by geom_line() so you can easily add or
remove it.

# Load ggplot2
library(ggplot2)

# Create some sample data
dat <- data.frame(X = as.Date(Sys.time()) - 0:10,
                  Y1 = sample(20:30, 11, replace = TRUE),
                  Y2 = sample(2:6, 11, replace = TRUE))

# Actual plot
ggplot(data = dat, aes(x = X, y = Y1, ymin = Y1 - Y2, ymax = Y1 + Y2)) +
  geom_point() + # points at the means
  geom_line() + # if you want lines between pints
  geom_errorbar() # error bars, Y1 - Y2 and Y1 + Y2

HTH,

Josh

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:41 AM, ashz <ashz at walla.co.il> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a data set with 3 rows (X=date, Y1=arithmetic mean and Y2=standard
> deviation). How can I create a graph(e.g., points) which will show the
> +-stdev as well (similar to excel).
>
> Thanks
>
> --

Joshua Wiley