[R] Sine function fitting

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Oct 18 20:05:59 CEST 2010

If you know the period of the sine that you want to fit (just fitting the amplitude, phase shift, and offset) and are willing to assume normal errors (or at least normal enough for the CLT) then you can just use the lm function.  If you need to find the period as well (but still willing to assume normal enough errors) then you can use the nls function.  You can approximate with splines and lm for another approach.

No packages (other than the automatic ones) needed.

If you are not willing to assume normal enough errors, then we will need more data to be able to help.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org