[R] Any demand for a useR 2011 tutorial on Emacs Speaks Statistics?

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 15:18:52 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I'm thinking of organising a tutorial on Emacs Speaks Statistics (ESS)
for next year's useR meeting.

  http://www.warwick.ac.uk/statsdept/useR-2011/

Tony (Rossini) organised one a few years ago which covered the following
topics:

  \begin{enumerate}
  \item Introduction (now, 15 minutes)
  \item Using Emacs (45 minutes)
  \item Using ESS (60 minutes)
  \item Exercise 1: ESS
  \item Exercise 2: Sweave
  \item Emacs extensions (30 minutes)
  \item Emacs Lisp (30 minutes)
  \item Discussion and Misc Topics (related Emacs tools, ESS extensions,
  future designs)
  \end{enumerate}

I think that covers pretty much the material I'd first think of
covering, with a few queries:

- should it be assumed that users have prior experience to Emacs?

- as well as Sweave, I'd like to cover Org mode and its framework for
  literate programming, which I think is quite nice (babel).

If you have any suggestions for what you'd like to see in the tutorial,
please email before 29 October, thanks!

Stephen