[R] R 2.12.0 - malware detect by antivirus software

Paulo Barata pbarata at infolink.com.br
Sun Oct 17 21:43:42 CEST 2010

Dear Dr. Murdoch,

My thanks to you and to Dr. Ligges for your replies.

I will do my part and will inform Avira about what happened.
If possible, I will send then the R 2.12.0 installation
file for their examination. As Dr. Ligges said, it is quite
possible indeed that a false positive alarm has happened.

But please allow me to point out that Avira, as far as I know,
is considered to be one of the best pieces of antivirus software
in the market. See, for instance, the AV Comparatives web site at
www.av-comparatives.org. No antivirus software is 100% perfect,
that is, in the real world there is no software with a 0% false
positive rate. Or, looking from the other side, every antivirus
software is "sloppy" in some way. Considering that fact,
shouldn't the R core team have some definite policy with regard
to false positive alarms concerning the R installation file?
Is this the first time that this happened? Will this be the last
time?

Best regards,

Paulo Barata