[R] RODBC results from stored procedure

ang ang at hamiltonlane.com
Thu Oct 14 23:25:29 CEST 2010

I know this thread is from a while back, but hopefully I can still get some
help on this.

I also used RODBC to connect to a SQL Server, and my stored procedure
returns a results set (that is not stored as a temp or permanent table).

So I was wondering if there was a way to access this results set, or am I
forced to store the results into a table before I can access it?

Some options I have considered:
a)modifying the stored procedures to insert the results into tables
b)creating temp tables (trying to stay away from this as it is not as
dynamic and would require defining of many tables if I wanted to run some ad
hoc analysis)

The reason I do not want to modify the queries/create temp or perm tables is
because the SQL end is maintained by a separate team, and I am simply using
R to connect/run analyses off the data.  I am trying to keep my side as self
contained and independent as possible.  Any suggestions/advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Adrian