[R] Poisson Regression

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Oct 14 18:42:49 CEST 2010

I think it's useful to realize that this approach still implies that the \phi_{i}'s are entered as fixed effects into the model (as opposed to treating the \phi_{i}'s as random effects); it's just that the iterative algorithm to obtain the maximum likelihood estimates is faster when using 'eliminate = Subject' (and the output doesn't show the estimates for these nuisance parameters).

Since the number of parameters then rises linearly with the number of subjects, this may be a case where maximum likelihood theory breaks down, that is, a Neyman-Scott problem. See:

Neyman, J., & Scott, E. L. (1948). Consistent estimates based on partially consistent observations. Econometrica, 16(1), 1-32.

Maybe somebody more familiar with this could shed some light on this.

Best,

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer
Department of Methodology and Statistics