[R] Can Sweave be instructed to use the cairo graphics device?

Levy, Roger rlevy at ucsd.edu
Fri Oct 8 20:45:33 CEST 2010

I'm writing a book using Sweave which includes Unicode characters which R's postscript and pdf graphics devices don't handle properly.  The cairo graphics device does handle these characters properly.  Thus I'd like to be able to instruct Sweave to use cairo (either sometimes or always) to produce graphics when it processes R code.  Is this possible?

Many thanks,

Roger Levy

Roger Levy                      Email: rlevy at ling.ucsd.edu
Assistant Professor             Phone: 858-534-7219
Department of Linguistics       Fax:   858-534-4789
UC San Diego                    Web:   http://ling.ucsd.edu/~rlevy