[R] X11 is not available

Ista Zahn izahn at psych.rochester.edu
Thu Oct 7 15:51:18 CEST 2010

HI,
It's not clear to me exactly what you did.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 7:49 AM, ogbos okike <ogbos.okike at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have just installed a new version of R (Version R-2.11.0) and did install
> other packages such as raster with ease. However, I could not start the
> plotting device x11(). I remembered that somewhere at the  stage of
> installation, an error occurred : 'configure: error: --with-x=yes (default)
> and X11 headers/libs are not available'

This makes it sound like you compiled R from source yourself,

>  I tried avoiding this error by using ./configure --with-x=no (i.e. changing
> the yes to know). Well, the error disappeared but after the installation, I
> could not start x11().

without X11 support.

> I have tried to install alien and attempted to use it to install java1.4.rpm

Why? Most linux distributions (you never say which one you are using.
We need this information in order to help you.) have a standard way to
install java...

> I have also installed r-base-dev , build-dep r-base and libX11-dev
> But the problem remains.

This sounds like you installed R using your package manager. So which is it?

-Ista