[R] ggplot2 Pareto plot (Barplot in decreasing frequency)

Morten Morten.Lindberg at siv.no
Wed Oct 6 23:19:18 CEST 2010

Hi all

I have a large dataframe with (among others) a categorical variable of 52
levels and would like to create a barplot with the bars ordered in
decreasing frequency of the levels. I belive it is referred to as a pareto
plot.

Consider a subset where I keep only the categorical variable in question.

# Example:
v1 =  c("aa", "cc", "bb", "bb", "cc", "bb")
df = data.frame(v1=v1)

# How can I tell ggplot to sort the bars?
# First bar = "bb" (3), second bar "cc" (2) and third bar "aa" (1)
# with 52 levels in the real data frame (many with equal counts)
# and other similar variables, I hope it is possible to script this
efficiently

ggplot(df) + geom_bar(aes(v1))

Thank you in advance

Morten