[R] misclassification matrix

Tom Fletcher tom.fletcher.mp7e at statefarm.com
Wed Oct 6 19:46:59 CEST 2010

I think what you are looking for is

?table
and/or
?prop.table

So, let's say you have two matrices: ACTUAL and CLASS, you can ...

table(ACTUAL, CLASS)

Or, diag(1-prop.table(table(ACTUAL, CLASS), 1)) to get row percentages
and take the diagonal.

So, using your example:

# table() as above would render the following matrix
mat <- matrix(c(100, 25, 10, 250, 100, 5, 50, 25, 40), 3)

and prop.table() renders:

> prop.table(mat, 1)
[1,] 0.2500000 0.6250000 0.1250000
[2,] 0.1666667 0.6666667 0.1666667
[3,] 0.1818182 0.0909091 0.7272727

In the above, the diagonal is the % correctly classified.

> diag(1-prop.table(mat, 1))
[1] 0.7500000 0.3333333 0.2727273

TF