[R] Converting scraped data

Simon Kiss sjkiss at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 17:52:52 CEST 2010

Dear Colleagues,
I used this code to scrape data from the URL conatined within.  This
code should be reproducible.

require("XML")
library(XML)
theurl <- "http://www.queensu.ca/cora/_trends/mip_2006.htm"
tables <- readHTMLTable(theurl)
n.rows <- unlist(lapply(tables, function(t) dim(t)[1]))
class(tables)
test<-data.frame(tables, stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
test[16,c(2:5)]
as.numeric(test[16,c(2:5)])
quartz()
plot(c(1:4), test[15, c(2:5)])

calling the values from the row of interest using test[16, c(2:5)] can
bring them up as represented on the screen, plotting them or coercing
them to numeric changes the values and in a way that doesn't make
sense to me. My intuitino is that there is something going on with the
way the characters are coded or classed when they're scraped into R.
I've looked around the help files for converting from character to
numeric but can't find a solution.

I also tried this:

as.numeric(as.character(test[16,c(2:5)] and that also changed the
values from what they originally were.

I'm grateful for any suggestions.
Yours, Simon Kiss

Simon J. Kiss, PhD
Assistant Professor, Wilfrid Laurier University
73 George Street
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
N3T 2C9
Cell: +1 519 761 7606