[R] binary tree construction in R

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 6 09:33:14 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 06:13:04PM -0400, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> I guess it wouldn't be too far a field to discuss benefits
> of data stucture exploration in R vs cpp or java- Especially
> for something like this where you may want to time it in a multithreaded
> setting- you can always instrument something like that, collect lots
> of monte carlo results, and then import the statistical data into R
> for analysis I would think.

This is fairly common--do your data collection in another language, then
analyze it in R.

R has nice interfaces to other languages, e.g. Python and C, so you can
do this directly rather than writing to a file in one language and then
reading it from R.

For a multithreaded setting, see the various approaches that have been
developed, at

http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html

However, in my opinion, these work well only for "embarrassingly
parallel" applications.  For the other apps, probably including yours,
you may need to go to C.

Norm