[R] Using as.polynomial() over a matrix

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Wed Oct 6 05:22:33 CEST 2010

The key is in the help page for apply. It says (in part):

    In all cases the result is coerced by Œas.vector¹ to one of the
     basic vector types before the dimensions are set, so that (for
     example) factor results will be coerced to a character array.

So although as.polynomial() returns an object of class polynomial, apply
then runs as.vector() on it, which makes it not a polynomial class any more.

You should also be running apply in the first index (1) not the second (2),
as in
   apply(  whatever, 1, function )
If you want it to apply the function to each row, which I think you do. The
strange result you get is also explained by the help page:

    If each call to ŒFUN¹ returns a vector of length Œn¹, then Œapply¹
     returns an array of dimension Œc(n, dim(X)[MARGIN])¹ if Œn > 1¹.

This example will get you closer:

> tmp <- matrix(1:12, ncol=3, byrow=TRUE)
> foo <- apply(tmp,1, list)
> lapply(foo,function(x) as.polynomial(unlist(x)))
[[1]]
1 + 2*x + 3*x^2

[[2]]
4 + 5*x + 6*x^2