[R] maximum matrix size if it runs with 64-bit R

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 6 02:32:56 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Carrie Li <carrieandstat at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sorry that it has been couple days.
> I've read the website you provided below, but still don't quite know if this
> is doable.
> The maximum vector length is 2^31-1, so here is what I tired, and it
> returned errors as below.
>

> P=20000
> D=matrix(rep(0, P*P), nrow=P)
>
> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 1.5 Gb
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: In as.vector(data) :
>  Reached total allocation of 1535Mb: see help(memory.size)
>
> On the manuals, it says "32-bit OSes by default limit file sizes to 2GB ",
> so why P=20000 is not working here ?

Every double value (e.g. 0) needs 8 bytes.  So the total memory needed
for that matrix is 8*P*P = 3.2e+09 bytes = 3.2e+09/1024^3 Gb = 2.98Gb.
 Now, in order to do anything useful you also need space for creating
an internal copy or two of that object.  That is, you basically need
2-3 times more *free* (and *contiguous/non-fragmented*) RAM than that
to do anything useful.

/Henrik