[R] reshape not using as id vars what it is supposed to be using?

Ista Zahn izahn at psych.rochester.edu
Tue Oct 5 18:17:21 CEST 2010

Hi Dimitri,
The argument names may have changed. Notice that

melt.data.frame(smiths, measured = c("age", "weight", "height"))

gives a message saying "Using subject as id variables". This is
because measured variables need to be specified as measure.vars (or an
abbreviation of that: even m will work because no other arguments
start with m).

> args(melt.data.frame)
function (data, id.vars, measure.vars, variable_name = "variable",
    na.rm = !preserve.na, preserve.na = TRUE, ...)

Bottom line: you need something like

melt.data.frame(smiths, measure.vars = c("age", "weight", "height"))

Best,
Ista