[R] R editor in ubuntu!

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 16:50:24 CEST 2010

On Oct 5, 2010, at 16:29 , Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:

> see below.
>
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Laurent Gatto <laurent.gatto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Kjetil,
>>
>> On 5 October 2010 15:12, Kjetil Halvorsen
>> <kjetilbrinchmannhalvorsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> emacs23+ess is great BUT there is a very large problem which is
>>> driving me away from it:
>>> (on ubuntu) since version 23, emacs has a very problematic bug, which
>>> I have reported as:
>>>
>>> bug#6193: emacs 23 in ubuntu 10.04 gnu linux:
>>> black lines overwrite text!
>>>
>>> but the emacs devs does'nt seem to respond. This makes in practice
>>> emacs23+ess UNUSABLE until fixed.
>>
>> Am a bit surprised here, as I am happily running emacs 23 (23.1.1 with
>> GTK+ user interface to be precise) and ess on ubuntu 10.04 and I do
>> not have any problem.
>>

> I am glad to here that, but it does'nt help me;!
>
> The problem with black lines overwriting text in emacs mostly occurs
> if I have a high memory load (maybe around 1 GB used on this 2GB
> system), mostly from other programs running (Firefox, document viewer, others..)

Ouch! However, it sounds like an X11/font/memory/display type issue, and could well be unique to your hardware.

One generic "fix" is to run emacs -nw in a terminal window. You'll lose the friendly menu bar and have to remember a bunch of keyboard shortcuts, but some of us did this for quite a while...

-pd