[R] Fixed variance structure for lme

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) Wolfgang.Viechtbauer at STAT.unimaas.nl
Tue Oct 5 09:57:09 CEST 2010

If the sampling variances are known up to a proportionality constant, then you can use:

weights = varFixed(~ vi)

where vi is the vector of the 50 sampling variances (corresponding to the 50 values of the dependent variable). You may have to create the vi vector by repeating the 5 sampling variances ten times each (so you get that vector of 50 values).

Note again that this variance function structure does not give you a model with known sampling variances, but a model where the sampling variances are known up to a proportionality constant. The actual sampling variances will be:

vi*sigma^2

where sigma^2 is the residual variance (which will be estimated based on the data at hand).

Best,

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer                        http://www.wvbauer.com/
Department of Methodology and Statistics    Tel: +31 (43) 388-2277