[R] How many R packages are not free?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 3 09:26:28 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> On 10/02/2010 07:38 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:
>>         Is there anything on CRAN that is NOT free?  I assumed that CRAN
>> had a policy of not accepting anything that could not be freely
>> distributed, but I could not find any such statement in a quick search.
>> The code by Uwe identified 52 packages with "file LICENCE" or "file
>> LICENSE", plus others with combinations of something like GPL with "file
>> LICENCE" or "file LICENSE".
>

> I believe the CRAN policy is just that: Freely redistributable. "Free
> Software" usually means something else: Free usage and modification.

I am sure that is the intention, but a few packages have changed their
licence terms since they were accepted.  'mclust' and 'optmatch' are
two, and they are not currently 'freely redistributable'.

> One main issue is code licensed "free for non-commercial usage" or
> "academic usage", which are not Free Software. However, CRAN being a
> repository with many academic users, it does serve a purpose to
> distribute them for research purposes.  [Long discussion omitted of
> whether that sort of license was ever a good idea....]

I've not seen in this thread mention of the "Licencse/FOSS" filter and
option 'checkPackageLicense' - see the help on available.packages()
and options() respectively.  These do enable people to work within the
subset of packages 'known to be Free or Open Source'.