[R] maximum likelihood problem

Prof. John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Sat Oct 2 15:26:34 CEST 2010

Ravi has already responded about the possibility of using nls(). He and I also have put up
the optimx package which allows a control 'maximize=TRUE' because of the awkwardness of
using fnscale in optim. (optimx still lets you use optim()'s tools too, but wrapped with
this facility.) There are a number of optimizers available through optimx. If you can
compute gradients analytically, you will find methods that can use these much more
efficient, and your subsequent Hessian estimates better too.

You should be aware that optimise() is for 1D problems i.e., 1 parameter to optimize.

John Nash