[R] plotting wind rose data (Karl Ropkins)

Karl Ropkins K.Ropkins at its.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Oct 1 16:43:19 CEST 2010

David,

Following on from Jim Lemon's suggest that polar plots might be more what you need, there are both wind rose and polar plot functions in the openair package that might be of use (particularly windRose and polarFreq). They will not do everthing you are after without some careful conditioning or extra work with latticeExtra, but could get you some of the way there.

Karl Ropkins,

> Hi List,
>
> I am trying to create a spatial representation of some wind data.
>
> I have the season, frequency, strength and direction of the wind from 10
> different locations, the coverage of the area that I am interested in is
> not 100% there are small gaps in my coverage due to the location of the
> weather stations.
>
> I am trying to create a series of wind maps e.g. the Prevailing Winds, the
> maximum seasonal wind, etc.
>
> Could any body recommend any R-packages that would cover this type
> problem/issue?

Hi David,
While there are several packages that include plotting routines for wind
roses, it looks to me as though you want to define a small number of
vectors representing prevailing wind, etc., possible overlaying these on
a plot. That might be a job for a circular plotting routine (e.g.
polar.plot) rather than a wind rose.

Jim