[R] Evaluation of survival analysis

He Zhang hzshasha at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 30 12:28:32 CET 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: He Zhang <hzshasha at googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: [R] Evaluation of survival analysis
To: Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com>
Cc: r-help at r-project.org

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Mike,

Thank you very much for your reply and help.
May i describe the analysis more clearly?
My data is ecology data and my task is to 1) relate the 8 candidate (life
history) varaibles with the lifespan of each subject and 2) use the known
variables to predict lifespan.
For the 1st task, i used Cox regression "coxph()" to  do uni-variate
analysis first. However, the most variables are correlated with each. For
involving more variables, principle component analysis is applied. After PAC
"principal()", I chose three vairalbes according to the results (instead of
the derived principle components since the interpretation of the original
variables is easier) .
For the 2nd task, i wanted to use the chosen variables to predict the
lifespan. "predict(survreg())" can get the values.
I attached parts of the results which are the residuals plot and predcited
values vs. predictors derived from both Cox regression and parametric
survival.

My problem: 1) not sure if the methods are correct for the tasks since the
residuals plots are not totally randomly and the predicted hazard is less
than 0.  2) i dont know how to explain the fitness of the model.

Any suggestion about the methods or results will be really appreciate. Thank
you again.

Best wishes,
He