[R] Where is gdata?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 06:06:49 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Stephen Liu <satimis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Spencer,
>
> I don't have RTools installed.  Therefore I can't find RTools/perl
>
>> library(RTools)
> Error in library(RTools) : there is no package called 'RTools'

Rtools is not an R package. Its a collection of UNIX-like windows
software and other software such as perl.   It is used by R package
authors to supply the additional tools that are needed on Windows to
build R packages from source.  If you don't need to build R packages
(that is you are content to use the Windows binaries) then you don't
need Rtools.  Also I don't think this or my other comments have
anything to do with your problem.  My comments were primarily in
response to Spencer's comments.

Regarding your question about gdata,

1. if gdata did not get installed then just do this from within R:

install.packages("gdata")

(or use the Packages | Install Package(s) menu to accomplish same).
If that still does not result in gdata being installed then try a
different mirror.

2. there is no gdata() function in the gdata package so your line
which tries to call it would be expected to return an error even if
gdata were present.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.