[R] discriminant function analysis

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Nov 26 11:43:01 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 22:56 +0000, Chris Mcowen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if it is more robust than a discriminant function but it
> is certainly capable if differentiating between species based on
> morphology. I used 12 measurements in my fish.

PCA extracts linear combinations of the data that explain maximum
variance in the data, subject to the constraint that the sets of linear
combinations (the "axes") are uncorrelated (orthogonal).

LDA extracts linear combinations of the data that best separate the
group (species) means.

LDA would seem to be doing a more direct analysis if the question is how
can I differentiate my species in terms of their morphometrics.