[R] Help in improving the style of R plots

pilchat pilchat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 11:38:11 CET 2010

Dear all,

I am running a MCMC on my data, and I want to plot the results of the
simulation. I want to dedicate a page in the PS file for each element in
my sample, and in each page I need to plot 8 quadrants.

In attachment you find my first attemp (just the first page). Here are
my troubles (I'm sorry if they are stupid, but I am a newby with R):
-) I need to substitute the greek letters wherever you find the full
spelling (I also need to substitute "Surface" with the greek Sigma letter)

-)in the top plots I need to write the "variable=median+-stddeviation
(units)" in a more "readable" way: some characters overlap and I want to
approximate the numebrs to the second decimal digit. This is how I have
been trying so far: text(min(mchain[1,]),max(ndensity$y),substitute(
Log(Surface)[med] ==nmed%+-%nstd,list(nmed=nmed,nstd=nstd) ),pos=4 )

-) plot (c): ticks, annotations and labels overlap, but they shouldn't.
Here is the code:
persp(d,col=fcol,zlim=zlim,theta=theta,phi=phi,zlab="density",xlab=xlab,ylab=ylab,main="",sub="(c)",ticktype="detailed")

-) plot (e) and (f): I need to cancel plot (f) and place plot (e) at the
center of the bottom row

-) when I close the R session, the content of the PS file disappears.
How can I retain the graphics output after closing R?

Can you help me in getting what I wish? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Gaetano