[R] Running R from SAS

Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) NordlDJ at dshs.wa.gov
Wed Nov 24 18:38:15 CET 2010

You haven't given enough information for anyone to offer you anything more than educated guesses.  What do you mean " this does not seem to work for me"?  What error messages are you getting.

If you want to run R from SAS (or any other program) you need to figure out what command will work from the command line.  I assume your unstated OS is some version of MS Windows.  What version of R?  Is R.exe in your path?  If not you need either need to add the path to SAS to your PATH environment variable, or you need to give the full path in the x command.

Try entering your command at the windows command prompt (you have no spaces in your filenames/paths so the quotes aren't necessary)

   R --no-save --quiet <c:\temp\r\program.r  c:\temp\r\program.log

If the command doesn't work then let us know what the errors are.  This is the syntax I sometimes  use on my machine:

   x 'c:\R\R-2.12.0\bin\x64\R.exe --vanilla <c:\SAS_examples\run_R_from_SAS_test.R >c:\SAS_examples\run_R_from_SAS_test.out';

Since I have R in my PATH, I could have just used

   x 'R --vanilla <c:\SAS_examples\run_R_from_SAS_test.R >c:\SAS_examples\run_R_from_SAS_test.out';

I could have also used Rcmd BATCH like this;

  x 'Rcmd BATCH --vanilla c:\SAS_examples\run_R_from_SAS_test.R';

and the output would be placed in c:\SAS_examples\run_R_from_SAS_test.Rout automatically.

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Planning, Performance, and Accountability
Research and Data Analysis Division
Olympia, WA 98504-5204