[R] Population abundance, change point

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 24 17:34:36 CET 2010

> To: gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
> CC: carusonm at gmail.com; marchywka at hotmail.com; r-help at r-project.org; r-help-bounces at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] Population abundance, change point
> From: jdaily at usgs.gov
> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 10:59:17 -0500
>
> I agree that SiZer is not the ultimate answer to all changepoint analysis,
> but that is why there are so many changepoint detection methods used. I
> will clarify, though, that my understanding of SiZer (which may be wrong)
> was that the smoothing splines are just a vessel for finding the
> changepoints, and made no assumptions about the continuity of the
> changepoint itself.
>
> One thing that would certainly help, especially with the confidence
> intervals about 0, is some bandwidth selection standard, though choosing
> that standard would be a difficult process to say the least.

I had a rather long draft response to earlier post on this thread,
quoting Einstein and Homer Simpson, but it seemed to long on philosophy
and was becoming a rant. But in response to this, Standards are good,
so good in fact everyone should have their own, LOL.
If you find yourself agonizing over the selection of arbitary parameters,
like cutoffs of various types say p<.05, it may simply be that
there is no sacred answer and the only answer is "get more data"
or at least discuss the implications of various choices.