[R] How to call web service in R

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 23 12:44:05 CET 2010

> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:28:15 +0000
> From: b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
> To: xiagao1982 at gmail.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] How to call web service in R
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:09 AM, 夏高 wrote:
> > Actually RCurl is not for calling web service. But thank you all the same.
[[elided Hotmail spam]]

> Use RCurl. It can be used for calling web services. A web service is
> just an HTTP endpoint that returns a response. RCurl does that.
>
> What did you have in mind as a 'web service'?

Usually something verbose that uses up a lot of bandwidth and then CPU resources
parsing the response LOL. I'm being a bit facetious as these have many
good uses but presumably the OP's question amoounts to "how much work
do I need to do myself" or can something generate R stubs as with java?

Quick goog search does turn up result ( I have no idea what this domain
is, seems like wiki spoof almost hard to knw )  but apparently you
want something called SSOAP although I would normally suggest finding
less verbose way to communicate if possible,

http://www.wikipathways.org/index.php/Help:WikiPathways_Webservice

http://www.wikipathways.org/index.php/Help:WikiPathways_Webservice#R