[R] Reading parts of data files

fbielejec fbielejec at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 12:05:18 CET 2010

Dear,

I'm doing analysis where I need to work on relatively large (50-60 MB)
text files, though I'm really interested only in parts with binary
variables (named indicators1, indicators2, ... etc.)

Every text file contains other numeric columns, but not always the same
and not always in the same order - therefore I would rather need a
method connecting to file and reading only colums with respect to name
pattern (ie indicators + number). That should speed things up (now I
have to clean data by hand) but also leave less memory footprint. Could
You point me towards sth?