[R] Odp: save a regression model that can be used later

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Nov 23 10:13:18 CET 2010

Hi
r-help-bounces at r-project.org napsal dne 22.11.2010 16:02:20:

> Hi everyone
>
> I have a question about how to save a regression model in R and how to
> retrieve it for making predictions in a new session.
>
> To be more specific, I fitted a multilevel logistic regression model
using the
> lmer  from the "lme4" package. I then successfully make predictions
using
> fitted(mymodel).
>
> Since data are complex (three levels, nested, numerous categorical and
> continuous data describing types of laparoscopic surgery), the computer
takes
> quite a while to fit the MLM model.  I wonder whether it's possible to
save
> the fitted model so that I don't have to fit it again for making
predictions
> every time I start a new R session.

When you quit R session with option save =Yes you get a file .Rdata.
Whenever you start R with this file you get saved environment back,
together with your "mymodel".

I recommend for each bigger task to create separate directory in which you
can save your .Rhelp and .Rdata file without interfering other tasks.

Regards
Petr

> I searched the mailing-list archive. Suggestions include using save ()
to save
> the model as "mymodel.rda" and then use load(mymodel.rda) into the
workspace.
> I tried without success (in Windows), returning the error message:
"Error in
> object$fitted : $ operator is invalid for atomic vectors"
>
> Did I do anything wrong?  Any help on this topic is much appreciated

1.11 Data permanency and removing objects

from R-intro

Regards
Petr