[R] I need a very specific unique like function and I don't know even how to properly call this

Ista Zahn izahn at psych.rochester.edu
Mon Nov 22 22:51:40 CET 2010

Here is a method for piecing it together using diff and indexing:

dat <- structure(c(3L, 6L, 7L, 3L, 7L, 5L, 8L, 2L, 7L, 0L, 7L, 5L, 5L,
 5L, 5L, 5L, 4L, 4L, 4L, 6L), .Dim = c(10L, 2L), .Dimnames = list(
     NULL, c("V1", "V2")))
 diffs <- abs(diff(dat[,2], 1)) # get the difference between each
value and the previous value
 new.dat <- cbind(dat, c(NA, diffs), c(diffs, NA)) # combine the diffs
with the original matrix, shifted down (is the next valued the same as
the value) and down (is the previous value the same)
 new.dat <- cbind(new.dat, rowSums(new.dat[,3:4], na.rm=TRUE)) # sum
the shifted diffs so that the value is 0 if above and below are the
same, and greater than zero if the above and below values are not the
same
 final.dat <- new.dat[new.dat[,5] !=0 ,1:2] # get rid of rows for
which the sum of the shifted diffs is not equal to zero.

HTH,
Ista