[R] R help

Michael Bedward michael.bedward at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 06:08:49 CET 2010

Hi Ahmed,

Please reply via the list - you'll get better answers because most
people there know more than me :)

Here is a toy example that is similar to the example graph you sent me...

# generate data: linear up to a change point, then plateau with constant std dev
x <- 20:70
y <- rnorm(length(x), c(20:50 * 2, rep(100, 20)), 10)
plot(x, y)

library(segmented)
# naive linear regression
y.lm <- lm(y ~ x)

# convert to segmented (chage-point) regression with
# initial change-point (psi) deliberately away from
# known cp in artificial data
y.seg <- segmented(y.lm, seg.Z=~x, psi=40)

Results are:
Call: segmented.lm(obj = y.lm, seg.Z = ~x, psi = 40)

Meaningful coefficients of the linear terms:
(Intercept)            x         U1.x
     11.006        1.684       -1.688

Estimated Break-Point(s) psi1.x : 51.4

There is an article about the segmented package in Rnews vol 8/1:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2008-1.pdf

Hope this helps.

Michael