[R] density at particular values

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Sun Nov 21 20:11:20 CET 2010

print(density(x)) displays a 6-number summary of the
x and y outputs of density, which are only tangentially
related to the data.  (The default x output is a evenly
spaced seqence of n=512 values covering the range of
the input x.)  I don't know why this display was chosen.

> I want to find the density of the given data at x=1. I
> basically want the value
> of y(=density) for x=1 i.e. kernel density at x=1.

If you really just want the density at a single
point, x0 (=1 in your case), you can do
   d0 <- density(x, from=x0, to=x0, n=1)$y
(density only lets you choose the output x vector
as an evenly spaced sequence parameterized by
from, to, and n.)

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com