[R] ?summaryRprof running at 100% cpu for one hour ...

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 20 18:57:34 CET 2010

> Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 18:45:42 +0100
> From: ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
> To: kjetilbrinchmannhalvorsen at gmail.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] ?summaryRprof running at 100% cpu for one hour ...
>

> On 19.11.2010 21:43, Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:
> > This is very strange. (Debian squeeze, R 2.12.0 compiled from source)
> >
> > I did some moderately large computation (including svd of a 560x50 matrix),
> > running a few minutes, and R memory increasing to about 900MB on this
> > 2 GB ram laptop. I had done Rprof(memory.profiling=TRUE) first.
> > Then doing summaryRprof().
> > Then doing
> > ?summaryRprof
> > and then the computer running with one of two cores at 100% for more
> > than an hour!
> >
> > Whats happening?
>
> We do not know. What about sending a reproducible example?

Use the tools designed for this: on 'dohs it would be task manager,
I think there is "top" or something on linux but I think "apropos"
can give you some candidates. Usually when things go from reasonble
to infinite time due to small changes in size, it has nothing
to do with algorighm order but rather VM.