[R] Looking up the directory a file is located in

Cliff Clive cliffclive at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 17:56:11 CET 2010

Thanks, Gabor!  So far I like this one best:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2005-November/082347.html

So if my script is called "myRscript.r", I can do the following:

this.file = parent.frame(2)$ofile
this.dir = gsub("/myRscript.r", "", this.file)
setwd(this.dir)

This will set the working directory to the the directory that myRscript.r
lives in, no matter where I move the script.  It's nice that it can be done
in only three lines of code, although it's not yet a perfect solution, since
it won't work if I change the name of the script.  But that's easy to take
care of if I just do some slightly more sophisticated string manipulation
(which I'm terrible at doing off the top of my head).