[R] Problem with nlme package

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Wed Nov 17 23:22:37 CET 2010

The function is not exported from the package.  You have to get tough with it, e.g.

> library(nlme)
> summary.lme
Error: object 'summary.lme' not found

But if you insist:

> nlme:::summary.lme
function (object, adjustSigma = TRUE, verbose = FALSE, ...)
{
    fixed <- fixef(object)

You cannot do this with lme4 since there the methods are S4 rather than S3 (which is why it has a 4 in the name, I suspect, like the stats4 package).

Also, tucked away in the 'ape' package there is a function varcomp() which extracts variance components from lme objects.  This is all I have ever needed in addition to what is provided in nlme directly.

Bill V.