[R] Label positions for the legend when using smallplot within image.plot

Alberte Bondeau (PIK) Alberte.Bondeau at pik-potsdam.de
Wed Nov 17 23:04:40 CET 2010

Hi all,

after having many images plots on my window, I want to have one single
legend plot.

For that I use image.plot where the position is defined within smallplot:

col=rainbow(50),horizontal=T,smallplot=c(.05,.45, .03,.06))

This works fine, but I found that the labels of the x axis are too much
far away from the axis.
Therefore I wanted to use

    par(mgp=c(0, 0.5, 0))

in order to write the labels closer to the axis.
It worked only when I specified, within image.plot

However, strangely I now have the labels twice: where I want to have
them, OK, but they also appear at their old places, where I do not want
to have them. I tried many ways of suppressing the labels that I do not
want, also by using
but it seemed that are "hard" connected to this smallplot

Does anyone already encounter such a problem?

Many thanks,