[R] aspect ratio 1 and blank space

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Nov 17 19:11:50 CET 2010

On Windows R 2.12.0, the following seemed to work for me:

par(pty="s")  ## before plotting
plot(1:10,xlim=c(0,20),ylim=c(0,30))

I do not find that setting the asp parameter does anything useful;
indeed, the Help documentation seems to be backwards (asp=x/y not
y/x).  I probably misunderstood and/or misused it, though -- asp seems
to interact with the xlim and ylim settings in inscrutable ways ... on
Windows, anyway.

HTH.

Cheers,
Bert

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Silvia Cecere <scecere at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to produce an ordinary scatter plot and it is vital that the aspect ratio equals 1.
>
> I set the axis as:
>
> plot(x, y, type="n", asp=1, ,ylim=c(-80,70),xlim=c(0,100)).
>
> The problem is that I get some 'additional' blank plot area (basically, the lower bound of xlim becomes quite negative).
>
> The xlim is not the range of the x-data,  but I need the 0 there for further plotting.
>

> Any way to specify that even with asp=1,  xlim=c(0,100)?
>
> Thanks,

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics