[R] Population abundance, change point

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 17 15:11:11 CET 2010

> To: carusonm at gmail.com
> From: jdaily at usgs.gov
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:45:01 -0500
> CC: r-help at r-project.org; r-help-bounces at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] Population abundance, change point
>
> There are really no set ways to determine a changepoint, since a
> changepoint depends completely on what you decide. Recursive partitioning
> will fit a best changepoint, but it will pretty much always fit one. This
If you are open to newer ideas,
have you looked at wavelets at all? these come up on googel along with R.
Also with aonly a few points, even 20-30, you coldconsider exhasiutvely
fitting slopes to all 2^n subsets and plowing throgh the histograms
looking for anything that may be publishable or illuminating about your data.
Fitting to your own model or null hypotheses would make interesting
contrasts of course, " populations remained the same after atrazine spill
or asteroid hit" etc.