[R] Updating R packages

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sat Nov 13 16:12:02 CET 2010

On 13.11.2010 06:15, Jim Silverton wrote:
> I have been trying to update some R packages but I get the following error.
> Can you advise how mow to get around this . I am using the R for 64 bit
> windows.
>
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> Warning in install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l, contriburl =
> contriburl,  :
>    'lib = "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-211~1.1-X/library"' is not writable

If you want to install packages into this library mentioend above, you
need the corrwect permissions to do so. For example, start R with Admin
privileges or change the permissions of the library.
Or maybe even better: Use another library than the base one to install
contributed packages into.

Note that you are under R-2.11.1 and if it is the 64-bit version of it:
CRAN does not support 64-bit R-2.11.x any more: please upgrade to
R-2.12.0 which comes with bi-arch binaries for both 32- and 64-bit
operation.

Best,
Uwe Ligges