[R] prcomp function

Claudia Beleites cbeleites at units.it
Wed Nov 10 15:07:35 CET 2010

I think PCA decomposes matrix A according to A'A, not to COV (A).

But if A is centered then A'A = (n + 1) COV (A).

So for non-centered A, you want to look at A'A instead:

 > crossprod(A) %*% evec[,1] / (nrow (A) - 1) - eval [1] * evec [,1]
           [,1]
[1,] 0.000e+00
[2,] 0.000e+00
[3,] 1.066e-14

If I'm telling crap, someone please correct me!

Hope that helps,

Claudia

--
Claudia Beleites
Dipartimento dei Materiali e delle Risorse Naturali

phone: +39 0 40 5 58-37 68
email: cbeleites at units.it