[R] can't load nlme on windoze 7

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 8 00:46:02 CET 2010

> Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 20:57:19 +0100
> From: ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
> To: marchywka at hotmail.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] can't load nlme on windoze 7

Trying "R CMD INSTALL ...zip" said that  unpackPkgZip was missing
so rather than figure it out I just decided to go ahead and try
the source, which is what I want to do eventually anyway ok
it is a bit of a diversion from actually using R.

> install.packages("nlme")
>
> should do the trick?

Well, I did have to find a mirror and indeed

$ cat getStuff.R
options(repos=c("http://cran.stat.ucla.edu"))
install.packages(c("nlme"),dep=TRUE)

seems to have worked as library("nlme") ran fine.
Judging from all the deps it got, the original
approach may have just failed due to that, hard to
know since I haven't read the docs LOL.

> Otherwise, see "R Installation and Administration" manual fir details

> Note that nlme is a recommended package and included in the binary
> distribution of R anyway.

The above script seemed to have to go get alot, and in fact crashed the first
time probably due to anti-malware stuff ( netstat -abn returned about 14000
entries to a firewall and none of my browsers would work etc etc ).

Thanks, at least I can get back to trying to use R instead of develop
c++ code but I am now interested in that too.