[R] saddle points in optim

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Sun Nov 7 18:27:13 CET 2010

The hessian from `optim' is not as accurate as that from `numDeriv' (with the default of Richardson extrapolation), so I would trust the numDeriv's hessian result over that of optim.  However, without seeing what you actually did, this is only a surmise.

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
School of Medicine