[R] data acquisition with R?

Matt Shotwell shotwelm at musc.edu
Fri Nov 5 20:51:02 CET 2010

R implements (almost) all IO through its 'connections'. Unfortunately,
there is no API (public or private) for adding connections, and
therefore no packages that implement connections. You will find more
discussion of connections and hardware (serial, USB) interface in the
R-devel list archives.

There are two source code patches that implement two types of
connections that work on POSIX compliant OSs, including GNU Linux, BSD,
and Mac OS X. The first is a 'serial' connection, a high level
connection to a serial port <http://biostatmatt.com/archives/112>. The
second is a 'tty' connection, a more low level connection to the POSIX
termios interface <http://biostatmatt.com/archives/564>. Both of these
solutions require that you apply the patch and recompile R. I can help
with this, if you like.

AFAIK, these are the only attempts at interfacing R with POSIX TTYs
directly.

-Matt

--
Matthew S. Shotwell